Dr. Michael Kaliszewski is a freelance science writer with over 15 years of experience as a research scientist in both academia and industry. He has an undergraduate degree in biology from Johns Hopkins University, a master’s degree in biochemistry and molecular biology from George Washington University, and a PhD in biomedical sciences from the University of Central Florida. While conducting his dissertation research, Dr. Kaliszewski investigated the aberrant modification of proteins in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), a rare neurodegenerative disease that weakens muscles and impacts physical function by targeting specific nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord. He has been published in several peer-reviewed journals throughout his career and has authored many other scientific articles for various websites and blogs. When not writing, Dr. Kaliszewski is an avid reader and enjoys traveling, dabbling in photography, and spending quality time with his family.
- National Association of Science Writers
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society of the UConn Health Center
- International Association for Dental Research
- American Biodontics Society