Cigna Health Insurance Coverage for Addiction Treatment in Texas
Cigna is a global health insurance company with over 180 million patient and customer relationships. Greenhouse Treatment Center is one of over 175,000 mental and behavioral health care providers connected with Cigna.1
This article will dive into Cigna rehab coverage and how to use Cigna health insurance to pay for rehab.
Does Cigna Cover Drug and Alcohol Addiction Treatment?
Yes, Cigna health insurance may cover some or all of the cost of drug and alcohol addiction treatment.
By law, all health insurance providers must include services for mental health and substance use disorders in some capacity.2 In fact, the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act (MHPAEA) requires insurance companies like Cigna to provide the same level of benefits for addiction and mental health treatment as they do for medical/surgical treatment.3
Although substance use disorder services must be covered, amount of coverage will depend on your exact plan and if the addiction services are in-network with your insurance.
Greenhouse Treatment Center is in-network with Cigna health insurance. This means that Cigna and Greenhouse have a contract in which Greenhouse offers substance use disorder treatment services outlined in Cigna’s insurance health plan at a lower cost. Benefits of choosing an in-network treatment service can include:4
- Discounted rates. In-network providers contract directly with Cigna to provide services at lower costs that are passed on to the patient.
- Not being charged the difference if the bill is higher than the maximum amount that Cigna agrees to pay for out-of-network treatment.
- Lower cost sharing. Out-of-network services (if covered at all) typically result in a higher percentage of costs being owed by the patient as opposed to the insurer.
It is always more cost-effective to go through an in-network provider. With some plans, out-of-network services may not be covered at all, meaning the patient would be charged the full amount for services.5
What Types of Addiction Rehab are Covered by Cigna?
Cigna insurance may cover a range of addiction rehab programs depending on the plan. Types of addiction treatment at Greenhouse Treatment Center include:
- Medical detoxification.
- Inpatient rehab.
- The Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP).
- The Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP).
- Standard Outpatient treatment.
- Telehealth Services.
- Aftercare Planning.
How to Use Cigna Health Insurance to Pay for Rehab
As mentioned previously, coverage for substance use disorder services vary by plan.6 A helpful first step is to verify your benefits, which you can do quickly and confidentially with this .
Some insurance plans may require you to get a referral from your primary care provider before entering treatment. Our admissions navigators at Greenhouse are available at to assist you with this process and answer any additional questions you may have.6,7
For most services offered by Cigna, you are not responsible for filing a claim (a request to be paid for services). Some substance use treatments may require approval by Cigna prior to receiving coverage under your plan. If you are using an in-network service like Greenhouse Treatment Center, this process is handled for you. If you are using an out-of-network service, you are responsible for obtaining prior authorization.7
How Much Does Addiction Treatment Cost with Cigna Insurance?
Cost for addiction treatment will vary based on the care you need and the exact plan you have with Cigna. Some common costs you may encounter include:6,8
- Annual Deductible: A dollar amount you pay before your insurer begins covering costs. After the deductible is met, the plan begins covering some or all of the costs. With Cigna, substance use and mental health coverage does not have a separate deductible, it is included as part of your employer’s medical plan.
- Copays: A flat fee you pay on the spot each time you use a medical service. Your copay pays for a portion of the service and the insurance company pays for the rest.
- Coinsurance: The portion of medical costs you are responsible for paying after your deductible has been met. For example, if your coinsurance is 30%, you pay 30% of the cost and your insurance pays the other 70%.
- Out-of-pocket limit: This is the maximum amount you could pay for medical expenses in a year. This amount includes coinsurance, deductibles, and copays. Once you have reached your out-of-pocket limit, your insurance will pay for any medical costs for the remainder of the year.
If your insurance plan does not cover specific aspects of substance use disorder treatment you are interested in, there are other ways to cover the cost of services. Additional ways to pay for addiction treatment include financing options, using credit, and family support. Connect with one of our rehab admissions navigators for more information.