Benefits of Traveling Out of State for Rehab | Greenhouse Treatment Center
Reasons to Consider Traveling Out of State for Rehab
Getting sober is a powerful way to change your life for the better. But choosing the right treatment facility can make a big difference: Addiction recovery is a highly personalized process and what is right for someone else may not be right for you.
For one, setting is highly variable when it comes to addiction treatment. Some people need the rigid structure of inpatient or residential treatment, while others benefit more from the freedom provided in outpatient care. Similarly, many people choose to travel to another state for addiction treatment while some stay local. There are several reasons why going to another state for rehab is worth considering. Let’s discuss.
Why People Choose to Travel Out of State for Treatment
Traveling for rehab has several advantages. These include:
- Ensuring commitment to the program. Getting sober takes lots of work and the temptation to quit early may be greater when you remain close to home.
- Removing distractions. Going to a different state will not remove your impulse to seek and use drugs or alcohol but it may help you center and focus on recovery.
- Opening up more options when searching for the right facility.
How to Choose a Rehab Facility in a Different State
As mentioned above, choosing a facility another state opens you up to many more choices. There are a few different things to consider when choosing a facility. These include:
- Whether they provide treatment for co-occurring disorders. Co-occurring disorders with addiction are very common and treatment for these conditions often requires a comprehensive approach.
- The treatment settings and types of therapy offered by the treatment center.
- The amenities and recreational activities offered at the facility.
- Whether your insurance covers treatment at the facility. Since the Affordable Care Act (ACA) was enacted, practically all employer-provided, government-funded, and marketplace plans cover mental health and substance misuse treatment. However, the level of coverage and the facilities covered will depend on the specific provider and plan.
Is it More Expensive to Go to Rehab in Another State?
The cost of treatment itself doesn’t increase when you elect to go to another state, as long as the rehab facility is within your healthcare network. Unfortunately, there will be the added cost of travel expenses when you travel for rehab.
Greenhouse Treatment Center is considered in-network for many different health insurance companies. Verifying your insurance benefits takes just a few minutes.
With or without insurance, treatment is expensive but there are often ways to pay for rehab you may not have considered.
Traveling Out of State for Rehab: What to Expect
Getting sober is exciting but also somewhat frightening. Knowing what to expect at a rehab facility before you start treatment–especially when you are going to rehab in another state–may help ease your fears.
At Greenhouse Treatment Center in Texas, arrangements are made so that you’ll be picked up from the airport—usually either Dallas-Fort Worth or Lovefield and taken immediately to the facility.
There, you’ll meet with the nursing staff and an intake director or therapist who will evaluate your mental and physical health, outline a treatment plan, and take an inventory of what you brought with you to ensure all items are approved. Our page on what to expect will break down this intake process and go over what you are allowed and are not allowed to bring.
People often have different needs, but treatment often begins with detox, followed by rehabilitation, and then aftercare. This process is designed to not only allow you to withdraw safely and more comfortably, but also to empower you with the skills needed to maintain lasting sobriety.
If you or a loved is struggling with addiction, please reach out to an admissions navigator at to learn more about treatment at Greenhouse.